7 a Side Soccer 2017

Following our success in Lecarrow last week, our boys 7 a side team were in action in Donamon on Friday 16th. Due to circumastances beyond our control, we were without our first choice goalkeeper, Jack Cuddy, but we were confident that Conor Harris would prove to be an able substitute. There were 10 teams there on the day, split into 2 groups of 5. We were drawn against near neighbours – and friends – Ballintubber, Liscaul, old rivals Ballyleague who we have met several times over the years, and Corrigeenroe – who hd defeated our girls football team in the Cumann na mBunscol semi final earlier in the week. Would e get revenge for the girls? Only time would tell.

Our first game saw us pitted against Ballintubber, in a close, tense encounter. Their goalie, Freddy, was in excellent form and denied us several times. When we did manage to beat him and go 1-0 up, they went straight down the other end and equalised with a very good goal. However, in the end, we got 2 more goals to run out 3-1 winners, albeit flattered by the scoreline. Eoghan Murray got a beaut, running on to a long ball upfield from Dylan Conlon, and just tapping it over the advancing keeper.

In our second game we played Lisacul, who were strong, and bigger than us. Despite this, we won well, even though the scoreline didn’t reflect how well they played and how hard they made it for us. Credit to Tyrone Brogan, who came on up front and scored twice, with his first two touches, while William Brandon also got the goal his performance deserved.

Our next game was against Ballyleague, and once again, it was a tough encounter, which was only settled towatrds the end of the match. Mícheál Hussey showed his class with 2 superb finishes, while Cormac Kenny and Rowan Davies both battled extremely hard for their team.

In our last group game, we had to play Corrigeenroe, who had also won all their matches thus far. The winner would go through to the A final, while the loser would qualify for the B final. This was a cracker of a game. Both teams battled manfully, attcking with speed and skill, while defending with strength and determination. At half time, there had been no breakthrough, but only because of an excellent save by Conor Harris in our goal. Early in the second half, Eoghan Murray rattled the back of the net to put us in front, only for Corrigeenroe to equalise 3 minutes later. Extra time beckoned, and in those extra minutes, Corrigeenroe had that little bit extra, and they scored twice. They went through to the A final against Curraghboy, while we were drawn against Ballinagare in the B final.

We got a dream start in the final. Good hassling and harrying in the corner by Michael Harrington saw the ball break to Mícheál Hussey, who squared for Eoghan Murray to finish. From the resultant kick off, Mícheál won the ball back and waltzed through to score a superb individual goal. At the back, Dylan and Tyrone were repelling all boarders, while William Brandon was also in fine form in midfield. In the second half, Ballinagare did get one back, despite Conor’s heroics in goal, but we kept going and got 2 more to run out comprehensive winners.

Thanks to all the organisers – David Kelly and gang – the referees and the parents who brought us to the matches – and bought us the curry chips afterwards! We LOVE Donamon!

Check out the pics from the day.